Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Black And White.

                                                     All artists know color isn't everything.


"doones county"---In 1983,when Doonesbury creator Garry Trudeau decided to take a brief hiatus from his strip,I mistakenly believed he was retiring.Add to that the growing popularity of the comic strip Bloom County,and I created the art upon which this digital clean-up was based.



"please,no blonde jokes"....Starting on the far left is CRACKED's Nanny Dickering--although she was drawn by many of the magazine's artists,for obvious reasons I chose Bill Ward's version--while next to her is Miss Buxely,from Mort Walker's Beetle Bailey.Next is Elissa Megan Powers,a.k.a. Empowered,the title character of Adam Warren's adventures of a teen superhero with insecurity issues.Seated next is Little Annie Fanny,the brainchild of Harvey Kurtzmann and Bill Elder,which could be seen in Playboy from 1962 to '88.
Next is Sally Forth,created by Wally Wood exclusively for American military newspapers,while behind her is Holli Wood,from the Ralph Bakshi animated movie Cool World.Seated on the far right is Cher D'Flower,whose appearances in SICK can be found elsewhere on my blog.Last,but by no means least is DC comic's Power Girl.
As for the Laser Lady mentioned on the little sign there,she's a superheroine who must strip completely naked in public to save the world...look for her elsewhere on this blog,or go to deviantart.com,where you'll also find more work by the artist.



       "security in the modern army".....Miss Buxely again,this time a little more to the General's liking.



                                                                   "steamboat wall*E"



                           "this time,it's personal"....inspired by Marv Newland's notorious cartoon!



                                                                     "tijuana bible"

                                                     Okay,okay.....it's a really dumb joke.



"two icons"....one of my favorite offbeat comic strip characters,in front of a souvenir shop just down the road from Disney World...the photo I took of it can be found in my "mixed bag".


"happy eve"---I do a lot of quick sketches and small doodles,many of them in the margins of the daily paper,some on the back of grocery lists and so forth.I often file them in a small pile on my desk,eventually using some of them as a starting point for a full-color piece.In the case of this pencil sketch,I decided to post it as is.Perhaps because it's a rather ordinary pose,but I like it too much to simply discard.


I suppose,technically,I should've put this one among my superhero posts...but I decided I preferred it here.I did this for a comic book shop I frequent,which has a wall display of black-and-white renderings of superheroes,all done by local artists.If you want to see the original,hopefully you should find it at Lost Worlds Of Wonders,6913 W. Oklahoma Ave.,Milwaukee,WI.
6/16/13...It's not there anymore.C'est la vie.



"the sunny side of cher"...and if you want to know who this is,check out
the next post,"Jack Sparling's Cher D' Flower".




After the big meal on Thanksgiving '12,I joined my 4-year-old niece at the table as she created crayon-on-construction-paper drawings;I picked up pen and note paper and did these,just for the heck of it.



                                             "HEWTMANC"...combining two loves of mine,
                                                the Daily Jumble and a certain Alan Moore
                                                                        graphic novel.


Just a quick sketch I did of a cheerleader;many of these
eventually end up as part of a full-color artwork.I just
decided to post this as-is.


"no zits on her"


"sally forth as wonder woman"

An existential discussion about cosplay,or female nudity or whatever.


Like the cheerleader up above,just a quick sketch I did in the border of
the evening paper (hence the unrelated text);will I re-do it in color?
Only time will tell.


"fastest thing on two feet".


"space cowboy"...a little visual piece for the song
of the same name by
the Steve Miller Band.

(it's always been a favorite of mine)


For those of you who haven't seen the exercise in cinematic incompetence
known as The Room...see it.
This film,from writer/director/producer/star/person who presumably flunked
out of filmmaking school Tommy Wiseau must be seen to be believed.
The phrase above actually isn't from the film,it's one of the many on-target
jokes that can be heard in the Rifftrax version.

Seriously...assuming he's not got some kind of weird speech impediment,
what the hell country is this guy from?


"the fly"
My rendition of the hapless scientist,after the results
of his experiment gone horribly wrong,from
George Langelaan's classic short story.


"preparing for the hallows"


"the way is blocked"
Just a little shout-out to one of the greatest sci-fi / horror flicks of all time.


"feature presentation"...as it says,a brief history of the drive-in 
movie theater.I did it as a black-and-white comic because I was 
inspired by DC Comic's Big Book series of the 90's.


"don't cross proximo"

The late Oliver Reed as he appeared in the Ridley Scott film 
Gladiator...and his opening lines.They fascinate me for some reason.


"behold,the hangman comes"


"20 minutes into the future"


"because it sells"
Once again paying tribute to SICK magazine and Jack Sparling's
Cher D'Flower.


"the off season"
The climactic moment from the story of the same name,which is also 
a chapter of Ray Bradbury's sci-fi anthology The Martian Chronicles.


"because it also sells"
A sort-of spiritual successor to my Cher D'Flower/Twinkies ad
up there,but primarily created for a DeviantArt contest,depicting
the use of sex to sell something.
Also,this was based...unless my memory is playing some sort of 
prank on me...on a real newspaper ad I once saw.


"not for much longer they don't"
 My tribute to John Carpenter's often-overlooked
1988 movie They Live.


"all that glitters is grey"

I wanted to create a pseudo-1950's EC horror comic cover 
using nothing...and I mean nothing...but black and white.
While I did use a lot of my MS Paint's little-used functions 
like crayon,oil paint and pencil...towards the end,when I was 
finishing the background,I cheated and used several shades 
of grey...I'm still pleased with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment