Friday, December 17, 2010

A Mixed Bag of my work.

                                    I guess you could call this the "miscellaneous" section.



"a crazy 12 months"




"african or european"---I took this picture at an antique store in Cape Cod,MA;after studying it,the captions just suggested themselves.



"a night at asimov's"---beginning in the lower left corner,MST3K's Tom Servo and Crow;at the bar,starting at the left,Robby the Robot,Commander Data,Yul Brunner as "Westworld"'s gunslinger,Pamela Gidley as "Cherry 2000",an unnamed robot{?} from the Daffy Duck cartoon "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery",Ruth Buzzi as "The Lost Saucer"'s Fi---in the center,R2-D2 and Wall*E playing holographic Rock'Em-Sock'Em Robots---continuing down the bar,the Terminator,Bender from "Futurama",Rodney Copperbottom from "Robots",Carl from "Meet The Robinsons",a servant automaton from the now-defunct Epcot ride Horizons,and a Cylon from the original "Battlestar Galactica".In the lower-right corner,Rosie from "The Jetsons".

Title:"better kept than displayed"---as in "Stupidity is better kept a secret than displayed",according to Heraclitus of Ephesus.The whole "2-day's kleen brite teen" passage comes from the book "The 80's:A Look Back At A Tumultous Decade",its hideous misspellings seemingly appropriate in this age of texting/message boards.



"competing stores".



"dream house"

"dream house 2"



"competing stores".


"hitla-cola".



"jerilee,pure keane"---my Magaret Keane-inspired depiction of Jerilee Randall,the main character in Harold Robbin's "The Lonely Lady",in which she ventures to Hollywood in search of fame and fortune,but finds only ruin and degradation.This depicts something she does at the Academy Awards;just so you know,Pia Zadora didn't do this in the 1982 movie.

"grassy knoll dept."---down through the years,MAD magazine has had many imitators;this depicts the possible front cover of one such publication,if they chose as a visual joke for their front cover a subject so sensitive in early '64,even MAD didn't touch it---the Kennedy assassination.


"know future"


"mel {blank}"---my tribute to pop-artist Mel Ramos.


"mom and dad"---my parents.Regrettably,my father didn't live to see this,having passed on in '96.


"morning still"---inspired by the pin-up art of 1930's artist Mabel Rollins Harris.



"potrzebie for profit".


"the verge of bein' obscene"---inspired by the finale of Sandra Bernhard's performance film,"Without You I'm Nothing".


A souvenir shop near Walt Disney World.



"verdant tempest"---unlike every other piece in my gallery,this was done in paint.Crude compared to my other work due to the fact that I hadn't picked up a paintbrush in years,but I'm still pleased with it.



My icon,actual size.....which inspired me to create the self-portrait that follows:




I don't really own a shirt like that.I should.




From the Fox animated movie "Rio",here's the Brazilian beach babe with both halves of her swimsuit....



.....and her without both halves of her suit---just a little experiment in digital painting I just had to try.


"THE hottest game of the 80's".


Someone on deviantart,who calls themself fox-orian,created a downloadable template for her fellow artists to create a collage of their inspirations.While I was interested in creating one,I lack whatever technology is required to use the actual template,so I created this collage and built a look-alike for the original design around it.


                                                             "who let the dogs out"



"another side of elves"


"my cat,X populi"
A bit of surrealism I created for a wonderfully bizarre art group on DeviantArt.


One of my favorite TV shows is Face Off on the SyFy Channel,where a dozen or so people with aspirations of being a professional makeup artist are given a weekly challenge to create a unique makeup--an alien,a zombie,a humanized version of an animal,and so forth.
My personal favorite episode of the second season was to re-interpret someone of an ordinary profession or trade as to how they'd appear were they a character in a Tim Burton film.The contestants chose Plumber,Toymaker,Cellist,Bellhop,Ice Cream Vendor and Baker;while watching a repeat of the episode,I began to reflect on one of two choices not taken--Farmer--and began to sketch,which eventually became this "Burtonesque Farmer";I started with a traditional farmer,making him somewhat asymetrical in appearance,giving him pallid skin and big,expressive eyes.I decided to make him part plant,the vines growing around and into him,as well as his tool--I chose a hoe over a pitchfork,as I believed the latter would make him look too menancing.In a Burtonesque touch,the patches on his overalls are of black-and-white patterned cloth.The blue ribbon was a last-minute inspiration.



"baron munchausen",my tribute to my favorite Terry Gilliam film.

I recently discovered this in a scrapbook,I'd forgotten I had this;in '88,the MTV Museum Of Unnatural History,a traveling exhibition of rock memorabilia and various types of art,came to our local mall.On display were something I'd never seen before outside of Epcot...computers you could actually "paint" on,something I wouldn't be able to try again until '92,on a nephew's "Mario Paint",and with that,I was unable to print out what I'd done.
The printed dates at the bottom were just added;fortunately,I had the foresight to date the printed piece.
Believe me,in '88,I was a much better artist than the above suggests.


                                                               "bad fashion causes cancer"

                                      

I call this "beaten to the pulp"...it's a revised version of something I did
  five years ago,which featured figures copied from Wally Wood.
These,I'm proud to say,are not.


"one for the ages"...my bid for internet immortality.

(hey,those acronyms gotta originate somewhere!)



"nanny and the janitor"
A personal tribute to one of the most
underappreciated humor mazagines
of all time.

(and if you know which one,then you know the typo was deliberate)



"goddess of string"...something I created for a
contest on DeviantArt.



"when naked women argue"

On the left is Honey Baxter,normally known as the fully clothed superheroine
Laser Lady,created by the artist legmuscle.You can see just how she came to
naked in "The Adventures Of Laser Lady",which can be found elsewhere on 
this blog,as well as on DeviantArt,where you'll be treated to more of his work.
On the right is Miss Truth,created by cartoonjoe2011,whose work can also
be seen on DevArt ; As his work shows,she seems to have the perpetual bad
luck of forever losing all her clothes,always in full view of a large group of
her appreciative students.
Just doin' a little shout-out to two of my favorite ENFs!


"finding cleo"...something I did for a contest on DeviantArt,the
aim of which was to depict female nudity in a historical context.


"it's a piece of cake"...something else created for yet another DevArt
contest,this one to merge the holiday season with female nudity.



"it's a wash"
Found this image on the net,wanted to do something with it...



"outright exposure"

Something I quickly slapped together,a re-do of an older piece,
admittedly a excuse for combining arty graphics with female 
nudity,thinly disguised as something with a socio-political message,
utilizing a quotation from a famous person.



"one is decorated"



"new york is full of weirdos"


"retiring for the day"

No comments:

Post a Comment